Hurrah for new anime season! Double hurrah for it being a bit lower on the numbers. That means that I can catch up with the last bunch of shows since I went for just over a week without watching any of them cos I was with family celebrating Christmas so I fell behind… This actually caused something somewhat interesting when it comes to my end of year lists but I’ll get to that later. As per the usual, lets go through the previous seasons shows.
Oh man, this was a close one. It was between this and Shin Sekai Yori and I had a really hard time choosing. Shin Sekai Yori has the deeper story and sucks you in better but it’s really a show which you really have to concentrate and pay attention to. Psycho Pass is simpler but no less engaging. Ultimately though, what swung the vote was that if I had to recommend one of them to a friend who isn’t into anime or the like, Psycho Pass would be a safer bet than Shin Sekai yori as it’s more easily accessible. That was it.
Then again, I vaguely remember thinking similar things about a show last year which ended up really crap. But the cast of Psycho Pass are already way more interesting and likeable than the ones from that show…
Runner up: Shin Sekai Yori
Really late for this one and there’s a simple reason for this. Despite being only 11 episodes long, I hated it so much, I couldn’t bring myself to watch anymore for quite some time. Normally, I would have just dropped it and put it into the super dubious list of “shows so bad, I couldn’t finish them” but I was well over halfway by the time the back broke so it just sat there and festered.
The premise itself wasn’t too bad and the early eps were pretty good, but it was just that the characters were just such unlikeable sh*ts!!! Things really went to pot when the ghost husband (I refuse to state any of their names, lest they linger any longer in my memory) took over the guys body. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve hated a single character so much since, well, guilty crown but before that I can’t remember. Code Geass R2 and Rolo maybe? Anyway, the guy is a selfish turd of epic proportions! He speaks of his widow like an object, hangs around like a fart in a lift and, in taking over someone elses body, effectively condemns some innocent sod to death so he can be a selfish prick again! Hell, he runs through someone elses money in the space of a day FFS!!! I don’t care if he was always ill when he was alive, he’s a scum of a person. Just cos you had it rough doesn’t mean you’re entitled to stuff!! The widow? She doesn’t even realise that the guy she supposedly falls in love with has become a completely different person until he runs away like a retard. Then, when she realises who he is, she plays along for a whole fucking day before realising “oh wait, what happened to the other guy then?” I can’t believe how angry this show made me. The only reason it didn’t hit my worst of 2012 list is because I didn’t finish watching it in 2012. But if it doesn’t make the 2013 list then I will stop watching anime, period because that means that in 1 year, I had the misfortune of seeing 5 other shows worse than this one and I don’t think I can watch anime knowing that…
Runners up: Nothing came even close!
Girls und Panzer
I have to admit that I went into the show with a certain amount of anticipation. But what I didn’t realise was that the show was going to be a little different from what I expected. I had been reading the manga before the show started airing and later found out that each adaptation of the show would present the story from a different viewpoint. The manga followed Akyama Yukari while the anime followed Nishizumi Miho. Basically, Miho is a boring lead so the anime doesn’t feel as interesting as the manga. A shame.
I knew that I was going to enjoy this show but I didn’t expect that I would enjoy it as much as I do! My next fave of the season after Shin sekai yori and Psycho-Pass!
- Code breaker is standard shounen fare. The manga itself isn’t that great but the anime does a decent enough job. But whoever thought Youko Hisaka would be a good voice for Sakurakouji Sakura should be shot!
- K was interesting but suffered due to poor pacing. And it always felt like it had more story to tell…
- Nothing surprising from Busou Shinki but it was still a fun distraction
- It took a while to settle into the groove again with Seitokai no Ichizon LV2 But once it was there, it was great again!
- Tonari no Kaibutsu kun was actually kinda fun. Moreso than I expected but I can see twists coming a mile off
- Jojos Bizarre adventure could not be anything less than awesome and it isn’t!! Really hope they cover Stardust crusaders! WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!
- It’s kinda bad that the most memorable part of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! for me is the OP and ED. The end was well done though.
- I’m not quite sure what to make of BTOOOM!
- I hope there’s a second season of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo planned, just so that we can get to see the end. There’s only 2 volumes of the light novel left! And poor Nanami!
- Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne was just… ugh. Still, I’d rather watch it several times over than watch Natsuyuki rendezvous again
- No complaints for Medaka Box Abnormal but this was where the manga became considerably less interesting to me.
- Jormungand: Perfect Order was small but perfectly formed!
- Hayate no Gotoku: Can’t take my eyes off you was really hit or miss. Some bits were great while others were… yeah.
- Sword Art Online fell so closely to my predictions that it was almost scary. I guess that’s the problem with following the source material so closely. No chance to surprise!
- Initially, I didn’t realise Hocchan did a voice in Little Busters! I am ashamed!
- I don’t want to wait until sometime this year to find out why they ended Muv-Luv: total eclipse the way they did. I want to know now!! What have they got in store for the second season?
- I’m waiting for the Blu-ray version of To-Love-Ru darkness…
That’s it for last season. Here’s what I’ll be picking up from the new lot:
Maou Maoyuu Yuusha!
Now, let me make this clear. I have been anticipating this show ever since it was first announced and I’m not jumping on the bandwagon just cos of the “assets” shown in the first episode! I’ve been following the manga adaptation for a while now and it’s easily one of my fave reads. So I’m also going in knowing exactly what its about and where things are headed but watching Maou-sama continuously fret about how Yuusha perceives her “useless bags of meat” (as Head maid calls them) on her chest will be good for laughs. But there’s a bit of something for everyone and if you’re a fan of Spice and Wolf, you owe it to yourself to watch this show! My only complaint is that the art style is pretty poor compared to the distinct manga style which you can see an example of above, but otherwise, I’m pretty sure this show will rank highly in my list at the end of the season!
Mecha show. Nuff said.
How could I not?? She is BOSS!!
I’m watching this mostly on the recommendation of others but since it’s a comedy which references other shows like Binbougami-ga! and Nyarlko-chan, I don’t think it’ll be all that bad!
Interesting but meh
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
Comedy Harem show? Check
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT
It’s a sequel, so it gets a free pass.
Fanservice show? Check. And who knows? There might actually be a plot in there somewhere! I have the game incoming as well. Maybe I’ll do a mini-review of that!
Why am I watching this?
I’m really going out on a limb here to see if KyoAni can make it 3 for 3 in terms of enjoyable shows in successive seasons. They blew me away with Hyouka (well, actually, the source material did but whatever) and Chuunibyou was fun. I just hope that Tamako market is more like those 2 than, say, K-ON!
Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru sou Desu yo?
A light novel adaptation in the similar vein to Campione and Dakara boku wa H ga dekinai? Should be a solid win for me (Campione was awesome!) but something doesn’t quite sit well with me on this one.
Those are the shows I’m definitely picking up. Still trying to decide whether or not to pick up Da Capo III and GJ-Bu but we’ll see how things go. And on a completely side note, after getting drunk and being persuaded by some online friends, I have finally activated my twitter account! Feel free to follow @Gundamjehutykai if you want some random stuff thrown into your feed now and then. Or if you think I really should watch something, let me know. What is everyone else watching anyway?
All images are copyright to their respective owners