Project: Try-Saber (Part 1)

Being in a rut sucks… After taking a little break (and doing a little gunpla again), I really feel like doing another garage kit and with my backlog as big as it is, you’d think that there’d be no problem finding one which I really felt like working on. But after working on a really big project (KOS-MOS) and then spending months on just fixing another (Himeji), I just wanted a simple, small kit which wouldn’t give me too much hassle. So that basically ruled out Bayonetta and Ceila Aintree (Not ready to tackle another 1/4 scale and Aintree has a crapload of parts). I did stumble across a very old kit which I purchased and forgot about but as I started cleaning it up, I noticed that the parts were in really REALLY bad shape. Possibly worse than Himeji… So I just stopped right there before I got really frustrated with the whole process again.

But then I remembered I bought a couple of kits from Volks a while back which should fit all my criteria. And, in the end, I decided to go with…

SABER!! It’s been a very long time since I did a Saber kit. (normally, I try to stick to a rule where I only make 1 kit of a character, but it’s been years since I completed my last Saber kit and that rule was never going to last…). This kit is part of the Try-GK line from Volks and is very very easy to tidy up and build so she seems like a great choice to get me back into gear.

The other option would have been Yoko from Gurren Lagann, but I’ve already made 2 kits of her (different costumes at least!) and Fate\Zero is airing, so that probably influenced my decision at least a little.

The kit is pretty simple and the parts won’t even need to be pinned to stay together once we’re done. The kit was clearly designed to be as beginner friendly as possible. Heck, even the resin feels softer and easier to sand than the usual stuff!! It’s just a shame that we haven’t seen any new additions to the line since Rio. My guess is that it was quietly abandoned due to low sales. Afterall, no matter how easy you make the build process for newbies, they still need to, you know, BUILD it! And that’s still (at least) one step too far for most people, who prefer to just buy a completed PVC or mess around with nendos and figmas…

The kit also comes with a second set of hair, one which isn’t bunched up. Not bad to look at and a few well placed magnets will allow me to swap the parts out without any problems. Parts fit was also excellent! heck, the kit stood up on its own without any help, as you can see!! Removing the few bits of flash pretty much cleaned up the parts as well. Just a little sanding in select areas and then we can jump into the painting (the best part!) The only question mark lies with the skirt.

There’s a noticeable gap between the 2 parts but it might be because I haven’t cleaned up the waist area of all the excess resin. It might fit better once that is completed but even if it’s not, filling the gap won’t be too much of a bother. I don’t mind fixing gaps in parts but pinholes and random resin blobs are right out!!

Come to think of it, I really should refresh my mind as to what kits I actually still have in my “to do” pile sometime soon. Feels like I’ve forgotten most of them…

Leave a Reply